This month on Energy Voices we explore green growth - the concept that we can create economic prosperity in a way that is sustainable and inclusive. We spend a large part of this episode exploring the Sustainable Development Goals which were adopted by the United Nations in New York this month.
Here's a quick highlight each of segment and provide you with more information so you can keep learning!
Lisen Up! This Month's Energy Voices
THIS MONTH IN ENERGY
Here are the big news stories from September 2015.
SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS
The SDGs represent global aspirations for the next 15 of international development. Administered by UN Department of Economics and Social Affairs (DESA) and various other UN agencies, these goals are all about "the future we want". You can learn more about the SDGs here: sustainabledevelopment.un.org
- End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- Reduce inequality within and among countries
- Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
- Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
- Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
- Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA
President Barack Obama addressed the United Nations Sustainable Development Summit about the importance of development. His speech was out of this world so we included it for you. You can read the full text here.
INTERVIEW WITH GREEN GROWTH KNOWLEDGE PLATFORM
We interviewed Ben Simmons the Head of the Green Growth Knowledge Platform, an initiative founded by the UN Environment Programme (UNEP), the World Bank, the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) and the Global Green Growth Initiative that works to generate, manage and share knowledge on green growth.
Their website has an integrated resource library with over 1200 publications related to green growth and an interactive global map where you can explore green growth indicators. Learn more here.